I am aware that it isn't the most perfectly worded survey, but it will do for now. I have to produce a garment that's based on an artistic movement or artist's work, so I'm trying to find out what people like. Also, if you can think of another question I could ask, please suggest it.
Please put a cross in one option from each question. Thanks.
1. Which, of the following, do you think would be most interesting way for a piece of wearable art to be displayed?
a) [ ] On a dress form under artificial lights.
b) [ ] Worn by a model who walks around the gallery.
c) [ ] Worn as a costume in a performance (i.e. a dance or piece of drama that is designed to show the garment).
d) [ ] On a dress form, accompanied by photographs of the construction and a written explanation of how the garment was created.
2. Which of these artistic styles do you find most interesting, visually?
a) [ ] Pop Art
b) [ ] Surrealism
c) [ ] Cubism
d) [ ] Art Deco
e) [ ] Art Nouveau
f) [ ] Gothic
g) [ ] Impressionism
3. Which of these garments do you feel is most suitable for a piece of wearable art?
a) [ ] Coat/jacket
b) [ ] Corset
c) [ ] Dress
d) [ ] Other (please state: ________________________________________
4. Which of these do you think would give the most pleasing effect as a piece of wearable art?
a) [ ] Many layers of lightweight fabric.
b) [ ] Many layers of heavy fabric.
c) [ ] One layer of lightweight fabric.
d) [ ] One layer of heavy fabric.
e) [ ] A mixture of lightweight and heavy fabrics.
f) [ ] Heavily decorated fabric.
g) [ ] Lightly decorated fabric.
5. Which of these colour groups do you find you tend towards?
a) [ ] Soft pastel tones
b) [ ] Muted
c) [ ] Bright, clear colours
d) [ ] Fluorescent colours
e) [ ] Dark colours
6. In terms of decoration, which of these effects do you find the most visually pleasing?
a) [ ] Large, bold, obvious decoration.
b) [ ] Subtle decoration.
c) [ ] Decoration that depicts a scene or picture.
d) [ ] Abstract or random decoration.
e) [ ] Other (please state:__________________________________
7. Which of the following do you think a garment displayed in an art gallery should be made with?
a) [ ] Natural fibres
b) [ ] Man-made fibres
c) [ ] A mixture of natural and man-made fibres
d) [ ]No preference
8. If a garment inspired by the one on display in the gallery was to be sold as a mass-produced item in the gallery’s shop, would you be prepared to buy it?
a) [ ] Yes
b) [ ] No
c) [ ]It would depend on: (please state) ________________________________________
9. How much would you be prepared to pay for it?
a) [ ] Nothing
b) [ ] Under £20
c) [ ] From £20 to £50
d) [ ] From £50 to £100
e) [ ] From £100 to £150
f) [ ] From £150 to £200
g) [ ] More than £200